Monday 27 February 2012

Tool Update 27th Feb 2012

Another round up of tool releases that can be useful to the Pen Tester. My aim is to do this on a weekly basis and if you are aware of any new tools or releases of existing tools you feel should be included please contact me with the details.

The comments here are my own views and I am not recommending any one product over another, if you are looking for tools I recommend trying a few, as most have free versions and picking the one that works for you. We all have our own methods of working and a pen tester’s tool bag reflects their own personality.

Hoping that the RSA conference will generate some interesting tool announcements and from the postings during the first day I won't be disappointed. Hope to cover the announcements over the next few weeks.

One of the big news items this week is that Backtrack 5 R2 is released for download via torrents on the 1st March, however it has been possible to update existing copies of Backtrack 5 R1 manually to the new release since 25th Feb see http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backtrack/upgrading-to-backtrack-5-r2/ for details on how to do so.

On a note closer to home, N-Stalker http://www.nstalker.com/ had a update that fixes a number of issues including for HTTP NTLM authentication over SSL proxies, this is a tool I use at work and we have been having problems with macro authentication on a SSL site. Full marks to the N-Stalker and their technical support team for a quick response and for the update.

One I missed is that inSSIDer was updated on Feb 10th, shame on my as it is one of my favourite wireless security tools along with most of the products from metageek http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Hoping to do the next tool update on 5th March, where I will be covering some of the releases from RSAC 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment